What is Gateway
Gateway is a challenging 15-day program for artistically talented students in grades 3 through 8. It is held on five Saturdays throughout the school year and two weeks in June. Students are served in the areas of creative writing, dance, theatre arts, visual art, vocal music, instrumental music and instrumental music/band.
Who may audition
ALL students in grades 3 through 8 who currently reside in Dorchester School District Two attendance area may audition.
Super Saturdays will be held at Rollings Middle School of the Arts.
- Super Saturday Dates: November 13, December 4, March 12, February 5, April 23, May 14* possible make up. These dates are subject to change.
- Summer Program Dates: June 6-17
- All program hours are 8:00AM - 2:30PM.
Each student chosen for the program must make a commitment to attend all fifteen program days and participate in the Saturday, June 18, 2022, Festival. (Parents are responsible for transportation to and from the program.)
It is imperative that each student make an attendance commitment.
Not only is it essential for the student's benefit, it also benefits the program.
Because we feel that unexcused absences show disinterest and disregard for the program,
the following guidelines have been adopted:
- Any absence for reasons other than illness or death of a close relative will be considered unexcused.
- Unexcused absences will jeopardize a student's placement in the artistically gifted and talented program.
- We cannot make refunds if a student does not complete the program.
Students who are accepted will be asked to pay a $7.33 fee per day for materials and resources ($110.00 total). Full payment of fees are due by November 19th, 2021. If you have a financial hardship please contact the GFAC at 843-832-5532. Scholarships are available. Fees are non-refundable. No student will be turned away for inability to pay fees.
Auditions will be held Saturday, September 25, 2021, at Rollings Middle School of the Arts.
A panel of judges in each area will conduct the auditions. Students should prepare the following for their audition:
- Creative Writing:Bring three different, one-page samples of your best writing to the audition. These may be typed or handwritten. During the audition, you will be asked to write a piece. Your writing will be evaluated on creativity, organization, and details.
- Dance:You will be asked to execute simple rhythmic steps and follow certain patterns. Please wear gym clothes. You will audition barefoot.
- Theatre Arts:Prepare a one-minute comedic or dramatic monologue (a memorized dialogue from a play, TV show, or movie). You will also be asked to participate in improvisational activities during the audition.
- Visual Art: You will be asked to draw several items during the audition (materials will be provided). NO portfolio is required.
- Vocal Music:Be prepared to sing the first verse of America (My Country 'Tis of Thee). You will also be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, rhythm, and to sing in harmony.
- Instrumental Music:You will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, echo rhythmic patterns, and be tested for eye-hand coordination. You do not need to play an instrument.
- Band:You will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, echo rhythmic patterns, and count aloud basic rhythm patterns. You will also be asked to play a scale on your primary band instrument (Grades 7-8) or a penta-scale (Grade 6).
- Orchestra / Strings: You will be asked to demonstrate a G on the D string. (Grades 7-8) You will be asked to perform the C,D, and G scales. Students will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, echo rhythms patterns and count aloud basic rhythm patterns.
Audition information will be shared via email and hard copy mail out in early September.
Please call 843-832-5532 if you have not received your notification By September 10, 2021
New students, or returning students who want to change their core, may use the link below to register online between August 2, 2021 and August 27, 2021.
2021 New Student Online Application -
Returning Students -
Students invited to return to Gateway this year need to submit an application by August 27, 2021 to confirm their spot in the program.
Use the online application link below or print and mail the paper version to the Gifted & Fine Arts Center using the address noted on the application.
2021 Returning Student Application-