What is Gateway? Gateway is a challenging 15-day program for artistically talented students in grades 3 through 8. It is held on five Saturdays throughout the school year and two weeks in June. Students are served in the areas of creative writing, dance, theatre arts, visual art, vocal music, instrumental music and instrumental music/band.
Who may audition? ALL students in grades 3 through 8 who currently reside in the Dorchester School District Two attendance area may audition.
When? Where? Super Saturdays will be held at Rollings Middle School of the Arts.
- Super Saturday Dates: October 12, November 9, February 29, March 21, and May 2
- Summer Program Dates: June 8-20, 2020
- All program hours are 8:00AM - 2:30PM.
Attendance Each student chosen for the program must make a commitment to attend all fifteen program days and participate in the Saturday, June 20, 2020 Festival. (Parents are responsible for transportation to and from the program.)
It is imperative that each student make an attendance commitment. Not only is it essential for the student's benefit, it also benefits the program.
Because we feel that unexcused absences show disinterest and disregard for the program, the following guidelines have been adopted:
- Any absence for reasons other than illness or death of a close relative will be considered unexcused.
- Unexcused absences will jeopardize a student's placement in the artistically gifted and talented program.
- We cannot make refunds if a student does not complete the program.
Audition Information - UPDATE! Due to storm conditions caused by Hurricane Dorian, auditions scheduled for September 7th have been rescheduled for Saturday, September 14, 2019 at Rollings Middle School of the Arts. A panel of judges in each area will conduct the auditions. Students should prepare the following for their audition:
- Creative Writing: Bring three different, one-page samples of your best writing to the audition. These may be typed or handwritten. During the audition, you will be asked to write a piece. Your writing will be evaluated on creativity, organization, and details.
- Dance: You will be asked to execute simple rhythmic steps and follow certain patterns. Please wear gym clothes. You will audition barefoot.
- Theatre Arts: Prepare a one-minute comedic or dramatic monologue (a memorized dialogue from a play, TV show, or movie). You will also be asked to participate in improvisational activities during the audition.
- Visual Art: You will be asked to draw several items during the audition (materials will be provided). NO portfolio is required.
- Vocal Music: Be prepared to sing the first verse of America (My Country 'Tis of Thee). You will also be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, rhythm, and to sing in harmony.
- Instrumental Music: You will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, echo rhythmic patterns, and be tested for eye-hand coordination. You do not need to play an instrument.
- Band: You will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, echo rhythmic patterns, and count aloud basic rhythm patterns. You will also be asked to play a scale on your primary band instrument (Grades 7-8) or a penta-scale (Grade 6).
You will receive audition information via email the week of August 26, 2019. You will receive notification of your audition time through the mail by September 6, 2019.
Please call 843-832-5532 if you have not received your notification. Previously accepted students do not need to audition unless they wish to change core.
Cost? Students who are accepted will be asked to pay a $7.33 fee per day for materials and resources ($110.00 total). Full payment of fees are due by October 12, 2019. If you have a financial hardship please contact the GFAC at 843-832-5532.
Scholarships are available. Fees are non-refundable.
New students--or returning students who want to change their core--may use the link below to register online between August 1, 2019 and August 23, 2019.
Students invited to return to Gateway this year may use the link below to register online between August 1, 2019 and August 23, 2019 to confirm their spot in the program.