Title II, Part A - Teacher and Principal Training and Recruiting Fund
Intent and Purpose: Provide financial assistance to LEAs to:
- Increase student academic achievement through improving teacher and principal quality and increasing the number of highly qualified teachers in classrooms and highly qualified principals and assistant principals in schools.
- Hold local education agencies and schools accountable for improving student academic achievement.
Intended Program Beneficiaries: Teachers and principals, including assistant principals, and as appropriate, administrators and pupil services and paraprofessionals.
Allowable Use of Funds: [Section 2123(a)]
LEAs must use TPTR funds to implement one or more of the following allowable activities.
- recruiting, hiring and retention of highly qualified personnel professional development
- improve quality of teacher and professional work force under Section 1119
- reducing class size
General Program Requirements:
TPTR program activities are required to:
- Be based on a local assessment of needs for professional development and hiring
- Activities must:
- be aligned with state academic content and student academic performance standards and state assessments;
- be aligned with curricula and programs tied to state academic content and student academic performance standards;
- be based on a review of scientifically based research; have a substantial, measurable, and positive impact on student academic achievement;
- be part of a broader strategy to eliminate the achievement gap between low-income and minority students and other
- Professional development activities must be coordinated with other professional development activities provided through other Federal, state, and local programs, including Title II, Part D (technology) funds.