What is SIC?
The School Improvement Council (SIC) serves as an advisory committee to a school's principal and faculty.
Unlike PTA/Os and other voluntary school organizations, councils are mandated by law to exist in every public school in South Carolina.
SICs play a key role in the education of our state's children, bringing together parents, educators and community stakeholders to work collectively to improve their local schools.
- SICs work with the school to develop and implement a five-year school improvement plan (school renewal plan).
- SICs monitor and evaluate success in reaching the plan's goals and objectives.
- SICs write an annual report to parents about the progress of the plan.
- SICs assist the principal in writing the narrative for the School Report Card.
- SICs advise on the use of school incentive awards and provide assistance as requested by the principal.